Sunday, June 14, 2009

Update from Pamela: Lutheran Kenya Deaconess Training (Part 3)

Part 3
(
continued from part 2)



From Pamela Boehle-Silva

Dearest Brothers and Sisters in Christ, and All Whom I Love,

(continued from part 2... ) Ok, enough of my somberness. There was joy in the midst of tears
yesterday - joy - when in the car with the deaconesses, who sang and laughed, and were surprised at the hotness of the candy I brought - Hot Tamales. We laughed until we cried as one of the deaconesses asked me if she could swallow them? She had been holding them in her mouth because they were so hot.


We were surprised by a wonderful lunch at deaconess Mary's home. We had chicken, ugali, chapati. We were touched by the trust that these women have in us as they shared their sorrows and their joys.

The scenery is stunning here and I never grow tired of looking outside. The people, especially the children, are beautiful and engaging. The Kenyans are gracious, kind and appreciative. It continues to be a humbling experience for me.


Kali wrote me a letter including a poem from Gerard Manley Hopkins. All she wrote was so true.


We see Christ in all people
He appears in many faces,
with eyes not His,
and whose limbs may be
lovely to God,
but the beauty is more difficult
to see.
We must ask God for
eyes and ears
and hearts to
perceive
Him.

This is my prayer for all of us, and especially for Dr. Just and me as we are with the deaconesses for the next 2 weeks.

My love to all.

Thanks for your emails and your prayers. I carry all of you with me here.

With love and hope in Christ.
Pamela